Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Disney World - Day 2 - Animal Kingdom

Our second full day was spent at the Animal Kingdom. This park was new to most of us, since it had been 20 or more years since we had been there.  We all really enjoyed it and sort of felt like we were getting into the groove by this point.  One of the first things you see when you enter the park is the Tree of Life.  It's really big, pictures can't do it justice and the animal sculptures in the trunk are beautiful.
We headed straight to look at some animals.  We did one of the animal trials and saw fish, birds, gorillas, and too many animals to mention. I particularly appreciated the artistic aspect of the chalk drawings that told about the animals in detail.
This guy walked right up to us.  It was almost a little scary!
She loved this fish tank.  The fish and the water was beautiful. There was a hippo in there too, but you can't see him in this picture.
Next we jumped in line for the safari ride.  In my opinion it is a must-do at Animal Kingdom.  The scenery is very natural and beautiful and the animals were awesome.  It was one thing that sets the Animal kingdom apart from your typical zoo.  The detail and work they put into this is totally a Disney thing!
Crocodiles, one of Laney's favorites.

While we were waiting on some of our crew, Laney decided she wanted to get her face painted.  They had LOTS of girly fun face paint ideas you could pick from, but Laney really wanted to be a "Mama Lion" so we got the closest thing that was sort of girly.  She loved it and so did we!
Next we grabbed lunch in Asia (one of the areas of the park) and there was some Indian music playing with dancers teaching the crowd the moves. Our girls naturally jumped right in.

In the meantime the twenty-somethings were off riding as many things as possible and scooping up fast passes for the rest of us.  

The cool kids . . . 
This is the Expedition Everest roller coaster.  Kyle and I snuck away to ride this while the grandparents watched 
L-Bird.  
(Thanks for the fast passes Kyle and Emmy!-by the way, fast passes are the way to go!) It was soooo fun!  Kyle and I both loved it!  Another must-do at this park!

Next we headed to the Dino-Rama!
We rode the TriceraTop Spin, twice!
Here we goooooo!
I'm riding in a dinosaur with a lion!!! Yikes ;)
Then we headed over to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade.  It was really cute with some very different floats than the other parades we had been to.  We especially liked Minnie's Jeep!
After the parade we went to the Bone Yard.  It's a playground and it's a great place for the kiddos to run around while the parents can sit and take a break :) Our girls had fun! 
Next was the Finding Nemo show.  I didn't take one picture of this! But, it was one of our favorite things that day.  It was great, our girls loved it and it was so creative!  We also loved the bubbles and fish that come out into the audience.  I think Harvey Jane enjoyed this show the most!  The sweet girl made it through the show and then feel fast asleep.
Then we strolled the girls through the Discovery Island Trails.  It started looking a little rainy, HJ was already asleep, Laney was headed that way, and we had had a great day - so we decided to pack it up and head back to the hotel.

One thing we thought was really cool about Animal Kingdom was the Africa and Asia sections and how neat the town areas were, for a second I felt like I was on another continent!  Very cool.
Fun day!  We headed back to the hotel and had dinner at the food court.  It was so yummy- I mean really good, and gave us all a chance to catch up with each other since we did a good bit of splitting up on this day.

What is your favorite part of Animal Kingdom?


1 comment:

Shanda McCloskey said...

Let's not forget that I had an "I'm overwhelmed" breakdown that midday after that parade with all the people squeezing by! I don't mean to bring up the stressful moments, but in a way, the stresses were part of it and we had to "figure out the Disney World learning curve". After that, we sailed smooth :)